|Lt. Merrell Gilbert (Ret.)
Since his retirement from the Amarillo Police Department after 26 years of service, Lt. Gilbert has overseen the Volunteer Chaplain and Jail Ministry programs for the Randall County Sheriff’s Office since 1998. He also served in the United States Marine Corp.
Jail Ministry Coordinator
Doris Gilbert has been an integral part of the Volunteer Chaplain and Jail Ministry Programs for the Randall County Sheriff’s Office since 1998. Mrs. Gilbert’s prior experience includes army corpsman and Deputy Medical Investigator.
- Provide support for sworn officers and civilian staff during times of illness, injury or death.
- Make hospital visits and provide get well cards to encourage staff.
- Teach classes to new officers for awareness of the chaplain program.
- Provide daily bible classes available to all inmates.
- Provide Narcotics Anonymous and Alcoholics Anonymous volunteers who hold classes several times each week.
Support Staff Volunteers:
- 92 volunteers from 23 different churches participate in the Jail Ministry Program.
- Provides services for approximately 300 inmates.
Advantages of the Jail Ministry Program:
- No cost to taxpayer by use of volunteers.
- Reduces inmate against inmate and inmate against officer violence in the facility.
- Reduces suicides by changing attitudes of inmates and giving them hope.
- Reduces depression and anger among inmates.
- Jail Ministry programs also reduce the threat of lawsuits and other legal problems from inmates.
- Meets requirements of providing some kind of ministry to inmates.
THIS VERY SUCCESSFUL VOLUNTEER AND JAIL MINISTRY PROGRAM IS AVAILABLE FOR ALL LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES THROUGH OUR MODEL CHAPLAIN PROGRAM AND OUR MODEL VOLUNTEER PROGRAM.|
Office Phone – 806-468-5800 ext. 4719
Cell Phone – 806-676-3980
9100 S. Georgia
Amarillo, TX 79118
email - email@example.com